Master Books commissioned this important literary work to be updated from the 17th-century original Latin manuscript to modern English and made available to the general public for the first time. Inside The Annals of the World, you'll find the fascinating history of the anci... Read More
- Why was Julius Caesar kidnapped in 75 B.C.?
- Why did Alexander the Great burn his ships in 326 B.C.?
- What really happened when the sun "went backward" as a sign to Hezekiah?
- What does secular history say about the darkness at the Crucifixion?
In the years 1650-1654, James Ussher set out to write a history of the world from creation to A.D. 70. The result was published in 1658 as the literary classic The Annals of the World. This famous comprehensive history of the world, originally published in Latin, offers a look at history rarely seen. Ussher traveled throughout Europe, gathering much information from the actual historical documents - many of which are no longer available, having been destroyed since the time of his research.
Using the Bible as his timeline, Ussher began with the death of Nebuchadnezzar as a reliable date and worked backward through the genealogies of the Old Testament to arrive at the date of creation - 4004 B.C. Integrating biblical history (around 15% of the text is from the Bible) with secular (around 85% of the material is from non-biblical sources), Ussher wrote this masterpiece. Considered not only a literary classic, but also an accurate reference, The Annals of the World was so highly regarded for its preciseness that the timeline from it was included in the margins of many King James Version Bibles throughout the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries, calling to mind the fact that the earth is only around 6,000 years old.
The Annals of the World is a necessary addition to any church library, pastor’s library, or any library - public or personal. The entire text has been updated from 17th-century English to present-day vernacular in a five-year project commissioned by Master Books. Containing many human-interest stories from the original historical documents collected by Ussher, this is more than just a history book - it’s a work of history.
- Important literary work that has been inaccessible in book form for over 300 years
- Translated into modern English for the first time
- Traces world history from creation through A.D. 70
- Over 10,000 footnotes from the original text have been updated to references from works in the Loeb Classical Library by Harvard Press
- Over 2,500 citations from the Bible and the Apocrypha
- Ussher’s original citations have been checked against the latest textual scholarship
Page Count: 960
- Product type: Book
- Format: Softcover
- Release Date: Jan 15, 2007
- UPC: 9780890515105
- Height: 1.96
- Width: 8.45
- Length: 10.88
- Volumes/Discs: 1
- Pages: 960
- Publish Date: Mar 1, 2007
- Language: English
- Audience Age Maximum: 0
- Audience Age Minimum: 0
- BISAC: "HIS002000"
- ISBN: 0890515107
More From James Ussher
James Ussher, Larry Pierce, Marion Pierce$34.99
Isaac Newton, Sir Isaac Newton, Larry Pierce$19.99
Charles Haddon Spurgeon, Larry Pierce$14.99