NIV First-Century Study Bible: Experience Scripture Through the Eyes of a First-Century DiscipleEd Dobson, Kent Dobson
2015 Christian Book Award Winner Bible of the YearExperience the Bible through the eyes of a first-century disciple by exploring the cultural, religious, and historical background of the Bible. This Bible allows you to understand God’s Word in its original cultural contex... Read More
Experience the Bible through the eyes of a first-century disciple by exploring the cultural, religious, and historical background of the Bible. This Bible allows you to understand God’s Word in its original cultural context, bringing Scripture to life by providing fresh understanding to familiar passages, beloved stories and all the Scripture in between. The Hardcover NIV First-Century Study Bible invites you into the questions, stories, and interpretations—both ancient and modern—which introduce you to a world vastly different from your own. Let us read with an eye on the past and with our feet planted in our present questions and circumstances.
- The complete Bible, in the clear, accessible NIV translation
- Word studies illuminating Hebrew and Greek words and explore their meanings
- Study notes expounding on the Scripture and incorporating writings from early church writers, rabbis, and other extra-biblical sources. These notes offer up commentary and ask thought-provoking questions about the text and the Bible times
- Extensive Book introductions and outlines for each book of the Bible
- “Addressing the Text Articles” delving deeper into passage of Scripture
- “Day in the Life Articles” illustrating the daily life for people in Bible times
- Concordance and other study helps
- 14 full-color maps with index
- Presentation page
- 8-point text size
Weight: 3.5 pounds
Dimensions: 2" x 6.6" x 9.3"
Page Count: 1834
Font Size: 8.0 point
- Product type: Bible
- Format: Hardcover
- Release Date: Sep 9, 2014
- UPC: 9780310938903
- Height: 2.00
- Width: 6.60
- Length: 9.30
- Publish Date: Sep 9, 2014
- Language: English
- Audience Age Maximum: 100
- Audience Age Minimum: 18
- Audience Gender: Gender Neutral
- ISBN: 9780310938903
- Translation: New International
- Print Size: 8
- Binding: Hardcover
- Concordance: Yes
- Maps: Yes
- Type: Study
- General Color: Multi-Colored
- Illustrations: Yes
- Audience stage life: Adult
Customer ReviewsWrite your own review
- Interesting, helpful insight that illuminates scripture by Lori @ 3gigglygirlsathome on 10/23/2014
When I received the NIV First-Century Study Bible in the mail, I was stunned. Excited! Surprised! It is absolutely beautiful. I couldn't wait to site down and absorb all that was included. So, I didn't. I sat and read for over and hour right then. I would have read longer but my family was hungry.
The NIV First-Century Study Bible is edited by Kent Dobson. He edited it to help us explore the scripture through the culture and history and mind-set of its Jewish and Early Christian context. The Bible is filling a niche. When we understand more about the culture in which scripture originally existed and the time in which it was set down, we got a more full understanding of God and why He gave us His word.
The First-Century Study Bible is chock full of material. Some of what you will find:
- NIV Scripture: The newest NIV translation is used.
- Book Introductions: There are extensive introductions to each book that cover the title, author, date, themes, and an outline, as well as other information about the culture and the time of the writings.
- Word Studies: Greek and Hebrew words are examined for their root words and meanings. A cultural setting may be covered as well.
- Maps, Charts, and Models: There are a number of full-color maps, charts, and models to help understand more about the first century and Jewish traditions. These are listed in the Table of Contents.
- Articles: Textual articles address passages that we will understand better if we know more about the first century culture. Day In The Life articles discuss the lives of various kinds of people from the first century, such as a shepherd or a midwife or a priest or a Sadducee.
This Bible has been a great joy to go through and learn with. It will definitely complement my study and be a helpful resource.
- A must have Bible. really unique by aussiegirl on 9/22/2014
NIV First-Century Study Bible
Edited by Kent Dobson
THE NIV FIRST-CENTURY STUDY BIBLE
With notes by Kent Dobson
Foreword from Ed Dobson
I was so excited when I got my new Study Bible. I stared reading "Day In the Life" Desert Shepherds really interesting. Wow I never knew this maybe you did, they are considered below farmers-- really , they had a tough life, oh yes the tougher the job the less you get paid.
The Days in the Life Articles give you a peek into the world of the Bible times.Then there is book Introductions, then at the bottom there are page notes--these are tied to verses in the Bible text, Textual Articles--this tackles topics that arise through your reading of the text and Last Word Studies--this Bible pulls out significant words and explores their meanings both for people of the time and for readers today--All this is really unique in this Bible.
The Introduction into Matthew is really interesting I am wondering why he so heavily depended on Marks account, do you know?
There's a picture of Jerusalem during the ministry of Jesus. Very interesting.
This Bible is really unique in the fact it explores Scriptures in it's Jewish and early Christian context. If you are interested in this type of Bible and reading this kind of messages then this is the Bible for you. It's a must have for sure. I LOVE this Bible.
I received this beautiful Bible free from Book Look for an honest review. I was not required to write a positive review just an honest one. The opinions I have expressed are entirely my own and no one else's.